5 Things to Do With Visiting Family Near Shearwater
November 19th, 2019
The community of Shearwater in St. Augustine is all about fun with a lifestyle that feels like a 24/7 vacation thanks to a variety of resort-style amenities. Plus, its ideal location means you’re close to popular spots around town for entertainment, shopping and culinary excursions. Invite your family over for a visit and take them on an adventure or two in the surrounding area. Then return to Shearwater to show off your stunning new home and discover the outdoor activities awaiting you at the Kayak Club. Here’s your guide to the top five things to do with visiting family in St. Augustine and Jacksonville, so you can take your guests to all the best places.
- Ponce de Leon’s Fountain of Youth Archaeological ParkGo back in time at Ponce de Leon’s Fountain of Youth and see the oldest successful European settlement in the U.S. — even older than Jamestown! Check out a show at Navigator’s Planetarium and look up at the sky as it was in 1513, watch blacksmiths make Spanish-Colonial-style iron goods and drink from Juan Ponce de Leon’s Spring of Eternal Hope at the Spring House. You might even catch a glimpse of the brightly colored peacocks who call the park home!11 Magnolia Ave.
St. Augustine, FL 32084
- Castillo de San MarcosFor the history buffs in the family, go on a tour of Castillo de San Marcos, the oldest masonry fort in the continental U.S. and a National Monument. See a historical weapons demonstration, take in a Ranger Program about the history and culture of the park or simply enjoy a stroll through this waterfront fortress. You can also take a walking ghost tour of St. Augustine for a spookier journey after dark.1 S. Castillo Dr.
St. Augustine, FL 32084
- The Museum of Science & History (MOSH)If you have young ones visiting, then a trip to MOSH is a must! From space and robotics to collections of zoological specimens and a courtyard of native plants, MOSH has it all. Spend an afternoon learning about the coastal creatures of Northeast Florida, on a boat tour of the St. Johns River or appreciating the work of a local artist. There are also educator-led workshops and programs for kids of all ages. With different exhibits and collections coming to the museum all the time, you can keep going back to discover new things. Check their calendar for upcoming events.1025 Museum Circle
Jacksonville, FL 32227
- The Catty Shack Ranch Wildlife SanctuaryLions and tigers and cougars, oh my! The Catty Shack Ranch Wildlife Sanctuary is a nonprofit organization that provides forever homes for big cats and is committed to educating the public on these wild animals. You can take a guided tour and then wander around and visit your favorite animals. And if you’re really feeling adventurous, go for a Night Feeding and watch the big cats feast!1860 Starratt Rd.
Jacksonville, FL 32226
- The Amenities at ShearwaterYou don’t have to leave Shearwater to have a great time. Impress your family with an amazing day at the resort-style community center and outdoor spaces. Kids will love the 3-story waterslide tower, The Perch, and everyone will want to float down the Lazy Bird River, the longest lazy river in Northeast Florida, under the shade of the palm trees. Take advantage of all that Shearwater provides its residents, including the community’s lifestyle programming and activities led by the Lifestyle Director. Bring your family along for one of these regular events like a wine and cheese night, kids’ craft hour or neighborhood potluck.100 Kayak Way
St. Augustine, FL 32092
Shearwater is in an excellent location near all the things you want to do and experience, plus great schools and employment hubs. To learn more about everything this new home community in St. Augustine has to offer, plan your visit to come see it all firsthand, and join the Interest List to receive all the latest news and updates.